Clinton Township, officially the Charter Township of Clinton, is a charter township of Macomb County in the U.S. state of Michigan. As of the 2020 census, the township had a total population of 100,513. It ranks as Michigan's most-populated township and 8th most-populated municipality overall.
As a northern suburb of Metro Detroit, Clinton is about 10 miles north of the city of Detroit. The township is home to many parks, notably George George Memorial Park. The main branch of the Clinton River, for which the township was named, runs through Clinton Township.
The first settlement on the land currently known as Clinton Township was called Gnadenhuetten and established in 1782 by Rev. David Zeisberg, but closed in 1786. The township was organized as "Huron Township" on August 12, 1818, named after what was then known as the Huron River. Because of confusion with another Huron River south of Detroit, on July 17, 1824, the Michigan Territorial Legislature renamed both the township and the river after DeWitt Clinton, the popular governor of New York from 1817 to 1823 who was largely responsible for building the Erie Canal which enabled many settlers to come to Michigan.
There are two unincorporated communities in the township; Broad Acres is located in the southeastern portion on M-3/Gratiot Avenue between 15 Mile and Quinn Roads; Cady is located in the southwestern portion at Utica and Moravian Roads. It was founded in 1833 by Chauncey G. Cady. Cady served for a time as township supervisor and was also a member of the state legislature. It had a post office from 1864 until 1906.
The Clinton Township Historical Village Museum includes the 1880's Moravian Hall, with artifacts and information on the history of Clinton Township (such as locks from the nearby Clinton-Kalamazoo Canal), and the 1850's Williams Log Cabin, newly-refurbished as a living history museum. The Village is located at the southeast corner of Romeo Plank and Canal Roads in Clinton Township, and is open during select events throughout the year and by appointment.
Observe Michigan's largest candy maker with a free factory tour at Sanders & Morley Candy Makers and don't forget to try a delicious treat while you are visiting.
Morley Candy Makers FREE factory tour is perfect for all ages and available Monday through Friday. Observe Michigan's largest candy maker create delicious treats, enjoy a chocolate sample and visit our unique candy shop. Advanced reservations required. Tours can be customized to fit your group's needs. Self-guided tours are also available. We are handicap accessible with ample bus parking. Morley Candy/Sanders Candy also offers a huge selection of custom chocolates, favors and beautiful baskets.
Clinton Township’s history begins withDavid Zeisberger, a Moravian missionary, who practiced in the Ohio Country throughout the American Revolution and during the new nation’s early years.
Zeisberger was born in Moravia (the Czech Republic) in 1721 and immigrated to British North America in the late 1730s. He joined the Moravian Church, eventually settling near Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, and became a missionary to various Native American groups in Pennsylvania and New York. Zeisberger’s missionary work emphasized how Christianity could be beneficial to the natives. However, this often led to the end of the traditional ways of life of the American Indian converts.
During the 1760s, Zeisberger lived with the Lenape (Delaware) in Pennsylvania. However, as the colonial population grew in British North America, more land was needed, and the Lenape were forced westward, reaching Ohio in 1772. Upon their arrival, Zeisberger established the village of Schoenbrunn, located near modern-day New Philadelphia. The missionary intended this village to be a refuge for so-called “Christian Delaware” and a location where further outreach efforts could be made. At Schoenbrunn, the Delaware lived like the Anglo settlers in the region – planting crops, serving as skilled craftspeople, attending school, and participating in religious services.
The Clinton Township School District, in partnership with the community, achieves excellence for each child by ensuring a meaningful and challenging educational experience in a supportive environment; developing life-long learners who are responsible and productive citizens.